24 June 2010

ENVIRONMENTALISM

I was to go and shoot a short docu film today but have been feeling a little off as a result of a minor tummy bug and stayed home. Instead I decided to read up on what is happening with our bleeding planet.

I am utterly sickened by what we have done. Humankind's pomposity and hubris is very, very dangerous.

Given that I am at a pivotal point in my career, emerging as a I from an extended sabbatical, I have decided to dedicate my talent as a photographer and filmmaker to environmentalism.

I do not have a car. I don't want a car. I don't want to ever take a long haul flight again (though I likely will have to). My family and I try daily to leave as tiny a carbon footprint as possible. We use a car club only 4 or 5 times a year.

I'm completely convinced that this is what I must do with my work. This has been settling in for some time and my reading today has been revelatory.

I want to try and make work on a local level here in the London area and perhaps across the UK and Ireland. But I'm a little unsure where to begin. Any ideas, inspiration and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you.
Paul Treacy.
Post a Comment